- Existing Oil Palm gardens can be converted into Hybrid coconut gardens through replanting program.
- Remove oil palms completely and plough the land to remove oil palm roots as they spread wildly across the land.
- Prepare the land and plant hybrid coconut trees.
- Young coconut plants start giving fruits from the fourth year under good management conditions.
- This will provide life long increased income from the same area of planting.
- Irrigate and manure hybrid coconut trees as per the specified schedule to get optimum productivity.
- Hybrid coconut trees require only one-third of the fertilizers and irrigation compared to oil palm.
|Year of first Yield
|Annual costs per acre
|Annual Income per acre
(17,500 nuts x Rs.15)
(10 t X Rs. 11,000)
|Net operating revenue per acre
- Coconut has multiple uses and multiple harvesting stages, whereas oil palm has single use one harvesting time.
- Coconut price is decided on demand & supply situation, whereas oil palm fruit price is decided by govt.
- Multiple intercropping is possible in Coconut plantation, whereas intercrop is not possible in oil palm farms.
- Oil palm farmers were frustrated enough by the improper logistics facilities, collection center issues, procurement problems, and payment issues from the private companies and government.
- Oil palm Farmers are facing problem in harvesting, requires very skilled labor to harvest the fruit using Malaysian sickles.