- Plant Hybrid seedlings in the field and grow Maize crop for the first two years, later go for shade loving crops like cocoa under coconut after three years.
- Young coconut plants start giving fruits from the fourth year with good management.
- This will provide life long increased income from the same area of land without recurring planting costs.
- Maize is prone to vagaries of nature and gets destroyed with untimely rains.
- Coconut farm allows for multiple intercrops, whereas Maize is a mono crop with no additional income.
- Harvesting, loading, handling, and transportation of Maize is very time consuming and laborious.
|Year of first yield||4th year||Seasonal / Short duration Crop|
|Yield Stabilisation||6th year||N. A.|
|Annual costs per acre||Rs. 46,000||Rs. 30,000|
|Annual Income per acre||Rs. 2,62,500
(17,500 nuts x Rs.15)
(2.5 t X Rs. 17,600/t)
|Net operating revenue per acre||Rs. 2,16,000||Rs. 14,000|
- Coconut is a perennial crop giving income round the year, whereas Maize is a seasonal/short duration crop with one-time low income.
- Coconut prices are dictated by demand & supply situation, whereas Maize price is fixed by domestic market traders and processors.
- Coconut farm allows for multiple intercrops, whereas Maize is a mono-crop with no additional income.
- Coconut has multiple uses & multiple harvesting opportunities, whereas Maize is a single harvest and single-use. In Maize cultivation pesticide sprays, several pickings, inter cultivation operations are labor-intensive and widely prone to adverse climatic conditions.