The Coconut Palm easily grows from seed i.e. a coconut. A decade ago, Deejay realized that Embryo Culture or EC, of the Coconut Palm, is very necessary not for propagation, but for Science. Deejays began its research and soon had success. The SR&D division of Deejay then planted the EC plantlets in the field after due hardening in a lab and the greenhouse. Today Deejay has many palms fruiting profusely, which were born – not in the field, but in a lab. Deejay also got a KFCCI award for its commercial breakthrough of the production of EC plantlets, which are exportable around the world with far less quarantine procedures.
The Benefits of EC plantlets:
- The success of EC has led to the success of Tissue Culture or TC in coconut palms.
- A few rare varieties of coconut palms cannot germinate normally for conditions within the nut are hostile for growth. EC is a recognized form of saving such varieties or even multiplying them. Deejay has saved quite a few of such coconut palms.
- Cryogenic preservation of species or cultivars of coconut palms can be done with the embryo now that EC is a reality. Gene pools of coconut varieties now become an easier, more cost-effective method preservation, and is independent of nature. A natural calamity can eliminate varieties of coconut palms as has happened with other species of plant and animal life.
Deejay’s purpose with EC, is
- To use embryo culture to safeguard important varieties and assist any other R&D organization, or Germplasm Collection Groups through the sharing of technology or research support.
- Deejay would like to support any organization with the multiplication of varieties of economic importance, which is not feasible without EC technology.
- Improving the EC technology and moving towards TC success, has begun and hopefully will shortly have a successful conclusion.